Sunday 20 January 2013

Wes Anderson Movie Posters Galore!

I've been watching a bunch of Oscar-nominated movies lately, and just generally falling back in love with movies. Usually I'll go a month or three without watching any, and then when January rolls around and it's -35 every day of the week I'll power through 200 of them. 

I saw Moonrise Kingdom the other day, which is another wonderful flick to add to Wes Anderson's already lovely repertoire. I didn't think it was as good as Fantastic Mr. Fox, but then again what live-action movie is? There were some painfully awkward scenes involving the children's love story development that didn't remind me of my own first-teenage-love time at all, and they barely used Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton and the ever-present Bill Murray. All of these people are people I wish I was.




[via]
They're all over the interwebs. 

A big trend on design websites are minimal movie posters, where designers take the essence of a movie and boil it down to one object, scene or character to present the movie. I find that these stand out way more than the cookie-cutter crap.

Wes Anderson inspires some wonderful fan-created pieces, which I find to sometimes be stronger than their official counterparts. 

The Royal Tenenbaums
Official Poster: 


Non-Official Posters:




The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Official Poster:

Non-Official Posters:






The Darjeeling Limited
Official Poster:

Non-Official Posters:







Fantastic Mr. Fox
Official Poster:


Non-Official Posters:




Moonrise Kingdom
Official Poster:


(For the record I think this poster is amazing and I love the font selection)
Non-Official Posters:









I think these fan designs are so consistent with the look of each movie because Wes Anderson always has a very distinct colour palette in mind when shooting his movies. 

[via]
According to IMDB, he's got another flick coming out in 2014 called The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's cast includes long-standing Wes favourites like Bill Murray. Willem Dafoe, Adrien Brody, Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman and Tilda Swinton; but the title character will be played by Ralph Fiennes, who to my knowledge has never stared in an Anderson film. Fiennes playes Mr. Gustave, the apparent owner of The Grand Budapest Hotel. 

Can't wait to see what Anderson's colour palette is for that one!

P.S. Fun trivia fact - Anderson is the son of an advertiser. 

1 comment:

  1. Not a single source on any of these photos...Btw, the first "non-official" Darjeeling Limited poster was made by me: http://minniearts.deviantart.com/art/The-Darjeeling-Limited-383465084

    ReplyDelete